The centre has developed training programmes for skill building & employability enhancement of both educated and uneducated blind girls coming to the centre: to provide greater job opportunities for them. However, along with VI Girls, now VI boys are also being taken for some training programmes:
A. LONG TERM VOCATIONAL TRAININGS OF 6 MONTHS EACH
- COMPUTER TRAINING
- HANDICRAFT TRAINING
- MASSAGE AND SPA TRAINING
B. JOB ORIENTED COMPUTER BASED LONG TERM & SHORT TERM TRAININGS OF 6 & 3 MONTHS EACH
- TRAINING IN RESEARCH & STUDIES-6 MONTHS
- FRONT DESK /RECEPTION HANDLING TRAINING-3 MONTHS
C. OTHER SHORT TERM TRAININGS
- LIFE SKILLS
- PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT THROUGH SOCIAL SKILLS WORKSHOPS & EXPOSURE TRIPS
- ADVENTURE SPORTS and,
- SELF DEFENCE
LONG TERM TRAINING: 5-6 MONTHS EACH
- COMPUTER TRAINING–
- Basic: 3 months-(MS Word, Internet & Scanning)
- Advanced: 6 months-(MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Internet & Scanning, Hardwares)
- NO. OF BENEFICIARIES TRAINED–46 women in different batches
SUCCESS / EDUCATION & EMPLOYMENTS/ CAPACITY BUILDING:
- 23 blind girls of (April-June) 2014 batch got admission in first year of graduation in different colleges (LSR, Miranda, IP, Daulat Ram, Gargi, SPM, Lakshmi Bai etc.) in June 2014.
- 15 computer trained blind girls were able to graduate themselves in job oriented Front Desk Handling/Reception Handling Course at NAB Centre.
- 7 passed the prestigious DOEACC Certified CCC course in computer exam.
- 3 computer trained blind girls got employments…… `Neeetu Goyal as `Computer Teacher at NAB Centre and other two `Shabnam and `Shweta Mandal were enrolled as `Research Associates.
- 7 blind girls were trained in a 3 months long programme `Women & IT with support from Asian Blind Union & nominated by NAB India, Mumbai during (June-Sep) 2014. This was a joint venture of NAB India, Mumbai and NAB India, Centre, Delhi. After this training, around 3 blind girls have been able to get employments and others have got skill building to appear for interviews for various jobs.
- The computer teacher attended a week long refresher course on `Computer teaching to the blind organized by Enable India in August 2014 at NAB, R.K. Puram, Delhi
- 2 staff members (computer teacherand a research associate) attended a two day course on NVDA at NAB, R.K. Puram in February 2015.
- HANDICRAFT TRAINING –
The girls who don’t have the aptitude or interest to go for higher studies, are trained with skills of making candles, diyas, chocolate making, tokris, jewellery and other items to gain employment in export houses, or get into income generating work. On the completion of the training, when they are able to contribute towards production, they start getting Stipends too.
- Basic:3 Months-(Manual Stiching, Paper Bag Making, Shagun Envelopes/Greeting Cards Making)
- Employability:3 Months-(Jewellery Making, Diya Work/Corporate Gifts & Packaging and Finishing of Products)
- Advanced:1 Month-(Candle Making, Chocolate Making)
- NO. OF BENEFICIARIES TRAINED– 46 women in different batches
- Around 30 were able to get stipends on regular basis by way of exhibitions/orders proceeds after the training
- 2 blind boys got employments in packaging departments of exports houses.
- 1 blind boy was supported with mobility training and guidance to procure orders to boost his self entrepreneurship endeavors to run the business of paper bags.
- Delivered timely orders of Paper bags and jewellery to an individual client and a company `LPTI Pvt. Ltd. In December 2014 & February 2015 respectively.
- Apart from this, the girls handle various exhibitions of their products in hotels, corporates, banks and colleges for sale. This also acts as a training for their confidence building and improved marketing and negotiation skills while dealing with clients.
||Shri Ram School
||Panjabi Bagh, Delhi
||Chattarpur Farms, Delhi
||Standard Chartered Bank
||DLF Cyber City, Gurgaon, Haryana
- The product range of handicraft unit has new addition of Newspaper baskets that are colorful and cheaperfrom this year.
- The handicraft teacher attended a 15 days course in `Paper mesh and paper products conducted by ARUNIM during( July-Aug) 2015 in Karkarduma, Delhi.
- MASSAGE AND SPA TRAINING –
This training was started in 2012. Healing with their hands, with a special focus: the vi boys and girls are trained to develop this special ability to conquer and heal pains-to bring relief to paining muscles. The centre has a tie up with ITC Maurya Hottel and Japanese Medical Manual Massage specialists to groom its trainees in a more professional manner once they finish their basic training at the centre.
- Established `Oorja Spa unit at the centre exclusively run by blind masseurs offering in house as well as home visits to the clients.
- Massages Offered: Swedish, Thai, DeepTissue, Sujok/Accupressure and Reflexology.
Curriculam Development: The centre has developed the course curriculum forSpa and Massage Course with help of America India Foundation. The experts who have contributed to curriculum and pilot are faculty from Shehnaz Hussain, ITC Maurya Hotel etc.
Expansion Plan: The plan is to replicate this course throught the country primarily with NAB Branches or any reputed organization working for the visually impaired in the country.
- Presently, this training has been replicated in NIVH, Dehradun and BPA, Gujrat,
1. Basic: 3 months – Relaxation massages, Grooming, Communication skills
2. Advanced: 6 months- Acupressure, On job/ Employment training, Exposure with Clients.
NO. OF BENEFICIARIES TRAINED (TOTAL): 25
- Massage services given by blind masseursto the clients during the year-10
- The trained boys and girlsa are working as free lancers and earning livelihood.
1. NAB Centre is Coordinating the JMMT course (Japanese Medical manual therapy) at BPA, Ahmedabad
- Arranging books to be edited
- Organising workshops and events
- Monitoring the JMMT Practitioners course at BPA
- Ensuring the making of a monthly teaching plan, maintenance of regular attendance, grievance handling of the course faculty
No. of beneficiaries trained:26
At NIVH:1st year-12, 2nd year-7
- EXPLORING PREMIUM SPAS FOR EMPLOYMENTS
- Astaberry– A premium spa in West Delhi, Astaberry was contacted for employments for the spa trainees. The spa owner proposed starting off a spa exclusively run by people with vision impairment. He has henceforth also been a part of the JMMT (Japanese Medical Manual therapy) workshop in the Centre.
- Kyna– A smaller size spa cum a parlour was ready to give employment to one of the girls and also train on other therapies such as stone therapy.
- Dhanvantri– A Kairali spa was ready to train and employ one of the trainees at their place.
- Stopage Health Solutions– The spa owner, a trained Ayurvedic doctor has agreed to be associated with the Centre as faculty in the spa unit.
B. JOB ORIENTED LONG TERM & SHORT TERM TRAININGS
- Training in Research & Studies (Long term-6 months)
This training has been started in 2014, a recent phenomenon, in Chitra Vihar unit of NAB India Centre to empower blind girls with right kind of aptitude for researches and studies. Due to its focused nature, in the last year, 3 blind girls have been trained on this.
The training involves:
- Primary/ Secondary research
- Development of formats
- Data Collection
- Methods: internet, Interviews, Group discussions,
- Field visits including communities
- Report writing
- Facts validation & presentation
Besides the above, the candidates also assist in carrying out employment based calling and job mappings in various industries, interviewing suitable candidates and facilitating in final employments.
Duration: 3 Months
NO. OF BENEFICIARIES TRAINED –3
- A blind trainee `Shabnam was able to conduct a base line survey with blind population residing in some pockets of Delhi independently to assess the needs of self employment opportunities for economic empowerment.
- Another blind girl `Shweta Mandal has been appearing for entrance exams at JNU & DU for M.Phil- Sociology
- Dolma got employment with Oriental Bank Of Commerce, Delhi as `Single Window Operator
- Front Desk/ Reception Handling TraininG: (SHORT TERM-3 Months
This training was started in 2006. Since, many visually impaired persons have a passion for communication work, this communication based training is for increased employability of visually impaired people who have basic knowledge of computers.
The syllabus for this training has been facilitated by ITC Maurya Sheraton Hotel, New Delhi.
- Training in real work situations at the reception of the centre
- Dealing with clients on the phone, inter department transfer of calls etc by handling EPABX System.
- Maintaining database of numbers and addresses, messages on the talking computer.
- Usage of assistive devices like voice recorders, talking calculators and Braille slates for independent work
- Coordination for visit: volunteers, donors & visitors
- Coordination with other networking partners
- Writing Skills: How to create a bio-data, Job application, Leave application, Taking approvals ,Writing formal mails, Report Writing, Presentation of report using powerpoint slides, How to take/write minutes of the meeting
DURATION: 3 months
- NO. OF BENEFICIARIES TRAINED – 11
- Many girls have found placements in offices, Hospitals, Pathology Labs, NGO’s and other work places.
C. OTHER IMPORTANT SHORT TERM TRAINING
1. Life Skills Training
This training is imparted to around 40-50 blind girls in different batches every year in the following areas:
a. Mobility and orientation training – the girls are trained to become mobile and independent. They are also taught self defense techniques to enable them to move about freely anywhere, even by public transport.
NO. OF BENEFICIARIES TRAINED: 53
- The trained students in `Mobility & Orientation participated in `Awareness walkfor barrier free roads by blind women at Janpath on Sep 13, 2014. Around 15 blind girls from the centre sensitized pedestrians, bus drivers and general public on the day about the importance of barrier free roads and following traffic rules.
b. Braille literacy – assists the visually impaired girls to access information and move a step ahead towards literacy.
NO. OF BENEFICIARIES TRAINED: 40
- The trained blind students taught basics of Braille to sighted 35 employees of `Expedia on their visit to NAB Centre as a part of `Sensitization programme.
C. Home Management – training in housekeeping, shopping, cooking etc helps the girls to live an independent existence and thereby manage their homes successfully. This enhances their chances of getting married and build a life for them.
NO. OF BENEFICIARIES TRAINED:
I. In Home Science:43
II. In house keeping-49
- The centre initiated to start a canteen kiosk to be run by a blind girl `Ritika Bhatia in the centre with basic infrastructure of LPG gas and a microwave in February 2015. The venture has shown positive results in terms of demand and selling of snacks, tea, biscuits and muffins to the visitors coming to the centre.
- A workshop was organized at the NAB Centre with the help of IIT Delhi on one of their projects called FRUWASH. The latter is an organic solution derived in their laboratory that can be used to wash fruits and vegetables to keep them fresh for 3-4 times more duration in normal temperature, i.e without refrigeration. This can be a good means of earning for multiply handicapped adults in the Centre. (Pic attached).
- Personality development Programme is absolutely essential for the blind girls as grooming helps them to gain confidence, and to adjust and integrate in the mainstream environment with dignity.
Physical grooming, dressing sense, table manners, social etiquettes and sex education workshops are conducted for the girls who come from backward areas and are not literate. This training makes it easier for them to be accepted by the society when they go out for employment or exhibitions.
To develop an overall pleasing personality the girls are trained and exposed to workshops in
- Communications skills which help them brush up their conversational English, build their public speaking capabilities, group discussions
- Grooming lessons are given along with practical training, coupled with various exposure trips to banks, post offices, restaurants, markets etc. The girls are taught the importance and need for good manners, personal hygiene and cleanliness, and dressing up with appropriate presentation skills.
- Workshops are held by experts on topics like beauty and skin care, reproductive health, career counseling
- Excursion/exposure trips are undertaken for exposure and recreation.
- Hobby classes are encouraged and held for the girls in music, singing, dancing, yoga and meditation which allows them to relax, express themselves freely, and be in a state of happiness.
WORKSHOPS held during the year:
Physical Grooming Workshops
Yoga & Meditation Workshops
Communication Skills and Soft Skills Workshops
Theatre & Music Workshops
NO. OF BENEFICIARIES TRAINED – 45
- NIVH SUPPORTED SHORT TERM WORKSHOPS:
a. NIVH supported House Keeping, Kitchen Gadgets & Social Skills workshops: A series of 6 day long workshops on `House Keeping, Social Skills & Kitchen Gadgets’ were conducted blind boys, girls, parents and hostel staffing SeptemBer .
No. of beneficiaries trained – 45
b. NIVH Supported workshops on `Orientation to Reproductive Rights for VI youth was conducted in October 2014
No. of beneficiaries-50
- Adventure Sports:
Under Adventure sports programme of NIVH,
A group of around 40 blind girls and 15 escorts was taken to `Fun n Food Village, an amusement park in June, 2014. The girls had a lot of fun experiencing adventurous water slides and other dry rides the whole day.
NO. OF BENEFICIARIES TRAINED – 30
- Self Defense Workshop: were conducted throughout the year
NO. OF BENEFICIARIES TRAINED –around 55